Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hot, hot, hot!

I'm on Santa Isabela now, I arrived on Thursday via a wee little plane (6 seats including the pilot!). I was mildly concerned about the safety of said plane when the right propeller wouldn't turn while we were on the ground...but it all worked out in the end!
 I spent most of yesterday hiking up the side of a volcano!  It last erupted only 5 years ago, and it was really interesting to see the lava fields, and hear the story about the eruption from my guide who was nearby at the time.  There is some debate about how ling the hike was...my guide said 20km, another told me that it isn't nearly that far...all I know is it took 6 hours, and the view was amazing. 
I was definately glad for the overcast sky, as I'm not sure how many more sunburns I can endure before my skin abandons my body.
The view from the top of the crater.

The lava field from a smaller volcano, behind the big one.

A lava tunnel.

You can almost imagine the rocks forming.

No comments:

Post a Comment